Alongside the traditional owners of this land, the Presentations Sisters, founded by Nano Nagle, they have been custodians of this place since 1943.
During the oppressive penal period of the late eighteenth century, foundress of the Presentation Sisters, Nano Nagle, worked among the poor of her native Ireland.
Following in her footsteps, the Presentation Sisters work in Australia and many parts of the world.
They continue her work in different ways, addressing the pressing needs of our time and the spirit of Nano Nagle has taken many expressions.
Before the sisters came to this Perth, the sisters taught at St Thomas’ Primary School, in 10 Reserve Street in 1908.
The school building still stands at number 10.
For thirty-five years, the sisters travelled by horse and cart to and from Iona, our Mosman Park Convent.
Then on the 16 July 1943, the Sisters moved into their new Convent here at 6 Reserve Street.
The Convent was originally called St. Joseph’s.
In 1989, the Convent became the Novitiate for the Presentation Sisters in Western Australia.
Sr Paula Quinn was the first director of novices.
In 1990, the Prayer House was built as a residential retreat house and venue for workshops, lectures and days of prayers.
Sr Paula Quinn was the first to give spiritual direction, retreats and days of reflection from this place.
Sr Kathleen Corby followed on, making this place available for hospitality, and called the place, ‘Ein Karem’.
For these women and the many other Presentation Sisters who have lived out Nano Nagle’s spirit in this place, we give thanks.
This place marks a fresh expression of Nano Nagle’s spirit reaching out into today’s world.
This endeavour seeks to respond to the most pressing need of the Church in the modern world, to journey with adults exploring their spiritual journey.
Sr Catherine Warner pbvm